• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Alli (Orlistat) for weight loss?

Volcano

Bluelighter
Over the past 9 months due to the following I've gained about 40lbs:

- Quit tobacco usage in May '09 (pack a day for 10 years)
- Quit warehouse job for office job (I used to do a lot of physical lifting/etc)
- Moved from 3rd floor apt to 1st floor (no stairs)
- Was diagnosed with a life changing condition (trigeminal neuralgia) which caused depression for a few months

Since then I've begun taking:

- Lyrica
- Xanax
- Klonopin

All are prescribed and I take them in the intended dosages. I do drink and occasionally abuse opiates though. That's where I get my kicks.

Anyways, I just begun taking Alli (Orlistat) today to help me lose this weight.

I know I need to:

- Keep fat below 9-15g a meal
- Exercise A LOT
- Reshape my eating habits

All of that goes without saying, I'm just hoping someone else here has some experience with it and can chime in for me :)

I took it briefly for a couple of years ago. As you probably know, it's essentially a punishment pill because if you over-eat with a fatty meal you're likely to shit your pants or experience "oily discharge" as they say. Used properly it is effective at preventing some of the fat in what you eat from being absorbed.

It's essential to eat right and exercise because on it's own it won't make much of a difference.

Good luck!

I think in clinical trials, people taking this lost between 3-5 kg, without making any changes to their diet or exercise. They all regained the weight within 8 weeks of stopping orlistat (but again, they were not modifying their diet/lifestyles at all).

Take home message: if you don't combine this with diet and exercise, the weight loss is minor at best, and only lasts until you stop taking the drug.